A Travellerspoint blog

Japan Days 5-8

“This wasn't a strange place; it was a new one.” ~ Paolo Coehlo

So ten years later I am finally getting around to finishing up my Japan trip. Just a side note I am trying really hard to get my time management skills honed so I will be making a very active effort to blog at least once a week. I have been very very very bad this year. It's April and I have only put up a post about the first half of my Japan trip. It's just pure laziness on my part. I beg your forgiveness, Now, hopefully I can make it up to you!

Ahem... so the end of my Japanese adventure. I believe I promised "Tokyo! Capsule hotels, Mt. Fuji, Miyazaki museums, Disneyland, and more!" Let's see if I can deliver!

Japan Day 5:

After the first few days of crazy travel going from Tokyo, to Fukuoka, to Miyazaki, to Nagasaki, back to Fukuoka, and then to Hiroshima, it is safe to say I was starting to wear out. Staying at the internet cafe was an experience that I can say I might do again. It was definitely cheap and it was at least clean. It wasn't the most comfortable thing in the world but there were rooms with more couch-like-beds available. KP and I got up around 6 am and we got ready. We walked back to the subway and KP told me we were walking through the famous Shibuya Crosswalk (if you Google it you will see hundreds of people crossing through the intersection. It's a little insane.) It is dubbed the "busiest simultaneous pedestrian intersection" in the world (not sure how accurate that is... probably pretty darn close though) but I can say this. It is not busy at all at 6 o'clock in the morning. I was actually a little surprised because I heard how early Japanese commuters will get started. Alas we were practically the only ones crossing the street to get to Hachiko Square.

I'm sure you've heard about the dog who waited for his master at the train everyday and still came and sat and waited even after his master had died? You know the one? That breaks your heart and makes grown men cry? Well we got to see the statue that was erected for Hachiko (the poor sweet puppy). I didn't even know it was there until we were passing and KP was like "oh hey, want a picture?" Um... yes!

Seriously... sweet sappy feeling could have rot my teeth.

We grabbed some stuff out of the subway locker we had rented and then made our way to the train to head to Mt. Fuji. Fuji-san is gorgeous and huge and you don't quite realize it until you are "there" and you are looking at this Behemothesque monster of a mountain in front of you. People who hike that thing are crazy.

This is the view from the train.

And this is the view from lunch.

I swear pictures don't do it justice. Not the ones I have anyways.

KP and I had made our way to Fuji-san for a fairly unconventional reason. I wanted to see Saiko-Aokigahara forest and she wanted to see the sunrise over Kawaguchiko lake. We hadn't even made it out of Tokyo by the time the sun rose so that didn't pan out but we still made it to the Saiko-Aokigahara Forest, aka The suicide forest. I have a macabre fascination with all things weird and this forest was a must-see for me when I went to Japan. I told KP I don't care what we do as long as I get to go to this forest.

We made it. Walking around it was fantastic. It's a beautiful forest and had a lot of small caves that bats like to inhabit. I wanted to go for a cave tour but it was closed that day.

We still hiked around for most of the afternoon taking pictures and seeing what we could see.

I tried to get as many "fantastical" looking pictures as I could.

Not gonna lie, I felt that at any moment I was going to stumble upon a bath house for spirits.

KP went down and broke off that icicle. After posing for some pics she handed it to be and it promptly fell out of my hand and shattered on the ground. Not one of my finer moments.

I also had a lot of fun with the filters on my camera. This tree was so colorful I had to take a picture.

And then I realized this
would happen if I used a "vivid" setting. Needless to say the second one is my favorite.

We ate at a small restaurant inside this strange little compound thing near the lake and forest. I ate Soba noodles and drank this amazing soda that you opened by popping the marble off the top. Crazy explosive but fun! And it tasted like bubble gum. You could practically feel the cavities forming.

I didn't get a picture of the soda?!?! What?!! Epic fail...

After lunch we walked around the area and bought some local produce. They were selling things like dried fruits, fresh milk, roasted sweet potatoes. Delicious. We bought this huge sweet potato and then sat down to wait for the bus to pick us up and take us back to the train station. After another long journey we made it back into Tokyo.

For the rest of our trip we stayed at a Capsule Hotel. If you haven't heard of a capsule hotel go look them up now! If you are a science-fiction nerd like I am it will be amazing because it feels like you are sleeping on a space ship. The beds are literally these little capsule like spaces in the walls, you pull a little curtain down and that's how you get privacy. There are two stacked on top of each other and then however many down the side of the hall. The bathrooms are on floor and a lobby/lounge area/dining room are on another floor. We only were in our "capsule" to sleep.

long view

I didn't take a picture before we slept in ours so I stole a picture of a capsule that wasn't being used.

After our day of hiking at Fuji-San we just stayed at the capsule hotel for the evening.

And thus ended day 5.

Japan Day 6:

One of the things I love the most about Japan in general is Hayao Miyazaki. The man is a genius storyteller and a wonderful artist. His movies are some of my all time favorites. So no journey to Japan would be complete if I did not take the time to visit the Studio Ghibli museum.

You have to buy the tickets ahead of time so thankfully one of KP's Japanese friends bought the tickets for us and we just paid her back. After a nice lunch of yummy pizza with more friends we headed to Studio Ghibli, oOn a bus with Miyazaki paraphernalia all over it. I may have squealed when I saw my first soot ball on the ceiling.

See?? Aren't they adorable?

You aren't allowed to take pictures inside the museum but they said nothing about outside. It's every Miyazaki fan's dream place.

This was inside the bathroom (all the windows had some sort of movie scene behind them throughout the museum so I couldn't help myself. I had to take an illegal picture. Shhh, don't tell.)

My favorite Miyazaki movie is "Castle in the Sky" so I may have stood in line to take this picture twice. Love these robots!

They didn't try and stop anyone from taking pictures outside of the museum so I took that as concession and snapped away. Soot balls!! Spirited Away, eee!

Water anyone?

More robots.

The bus stop outside the museum is mirrored off of Totoro's bus stop.

So much Miyazaki love!!!!

After we left the museum we headed back to the capsule hotel. I didn't want to call it a night quite yet so I headed out again to find Tokyo Tower and take as many touristy photos as humanly possible. Part of my Japanese experience was to live out as many adolescent anime adventures as possible. Miyazaki? Check. Next stop Cardcaptors! Haha, there's a part where one of the characters keeps dreaming about a shadowy person on the tower... I'm a slight nerd deal with it. ANYWAYS I had to find Tokyo Tower because it's, you know, a landmark... but more because I watched that anime when I was little.

I found it!!

And the obligatory selfie. Woot.

After my excursion to find the tower was successful I headed back to the hotel and thus ended day 6.

Japan Day 7:

The last full day in Japan was spent on in the most magical place on Earth! Disneyland!! I really want to try and hit all the Disneylands in the world... two down at least 3 to go! We started as soon as the park opened. We bought a normal day pass for Disneyland but because the main park was closing early we were given a special discount ticket for Tokyo Sea (kind of like California Adventures). Walking around we pretty much did exactly what you would at Disneyland in California.

Not gonna lie I was a little disappointed at how everything was so similar. I mean, I get it, it's Disneyland. There is going to be a formula but I was hoping for some Japanese flair.

I did get to ride Pirates of the Caribbean and hear the story in Japanese! And of course we hit the top rides: Splash Mountain (where we befriended the other girls in our boat by making mouse ears during the picture with them!), Haunted Mansion (Japanese ghost stories??), Tea Cups, It's a Small World (I don't know about any of the other Disneylands but I noticed there was a distinct lack of Korean representation on this ride... coincidence? I think not.), Space Mountain, Star Tours (C3P0 in Japanese... weird!), Buzz Lightyear's Space Blasters!! ( I totally owned KP on this game), and lots and lots of eating. They have popcorn stands everywhere throughout the park and they are all flavored differently. We passed your normal salt and pepper, butter, cheese, but we ended up trying honey, chocolate, apple cinnamon, and corn portage. There were others like Miso and one more that I can't remember now. We also saw people with popcorn that was red but we never did find out the flavor or where it came from.

At four we headed over to Tokyo Sea. We were pretty tired by now but we walked around, saw the sights (I would go again just for the views, Tokyo Disney is super pretty!! It is a mixture between Vienna and old Spanish/English explorer days and late 1800s New York. Imagine that if you can.

We ate dinner (yummy pork ribs and corn soup), explored the Explorers of the World exhibit (played with the universe, sailed some remote control explorer ships, and took some pictures in a flying machine), then decided we would ride one ride before heading out. (KP had a dinner with friends and I was exhausted and didn't really care to walk around Disneyland solo.)

We decided on Journey to the Center of the Earth (mostly because it was right there). Worst decision ever. The wait took almost two hours and the ride lasted less than a minute. However we did end up playing some random games with the Japanese guys behind us. The wait definitely took me back to grade school. We killed time by playing ABC categories, hot hands, the dot-line game (you draw a bunch of dots and connect them with lines, whoever makes the most boxed wins), and MASH. Then we realized that the guys were entertaining themselves by copying what we were doing so the became a game.

After that ride we hopped back on the train and headed back into Tokyo. I did a little shopping before heading back to the Capsule Hotel. I really wanted to find some anime memorabilia (preferably Sailor Moon or Cardcaptors) but I didn't make it to the huge Anime area while it was still open.

The next day was just getting up, packing up, checking out, and heading to the airport.

It was a great trip. I didn't get to do everything I wanted to... oh well, one of these days I shall make it back to Japan and do all the things I missed this trip.

All in all it was a very memorable trip and I am so glad I had a good friend to share it with. KP is a great travel buddy and I am super jealous of her post-Korea adventure she is on right now.

And here are some pictures of our Disneyland adventure!
Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum!! Plus some characters from Disney.

Our mouse ears!

Woot! Woot! You would have got a kick out this Uncle Charley!

Mouse ears!!

Thanks for all the memories Japan!

Until the next time!

Posted by cstravelsabroad 17:16 Archived in Japan Tagged history vacation adventure friends funny beauty Comments (0)

Japan Days 1-4

“When you're traveling, you are what you are, right there and then. People don't have your past to hold against you. No yesterdays on the road.” ~ William Least Heat-Moon

One of the things I promised myself I would do while I was teaching abroad was to travel around to different countries, So far I have made it to Taiwan. Not exactly the list I was hoping for a year and a half in but I finally brought that number up by one. I spent my actual winter vacation in Japan. I went with a friend, KP, and we stayed for a week. It was glorious.

We went everywhere. It helped a lot that she used to study abroad in Japan, she spoke Japanese, she had some Japanese friends that we visited, she had an international drivers license... yeah, if going to Japan I highly recommend finding a friend like her. I definitely would not have had such a good time without her know-how and suggestions.

First, there are a few general things about Japan that you have to know before you travel there. One: it's expensive, like, really expensive. And when you are carrying around a coin that say 100 around Korea you think 'hey, I've got 10 cents in my hand' and then you go to Japan and you have a coin that says 100 and you're like 'crap, I've got a dollar in my hand'... it makes a big difference. Two: it's crowded, like, really crowded. Walking around the subway felt like a live action Frogger game. It is all you can do not to be creamed by the mass of people walking every which way. Three: They do everything backwards. Okay, not everything, but the walking and driving on the left hand side... it's annoying and ridiculous and they should stop. Four: It's expensive. No, really... it's EXPENSIVE. Five: There is so much food to eat I don't understand how it isn't the most obese country in the universe. Six: It's expensive. I am sensing a trend here... And last, but by no means, least: "Cute" is to Korea like "Anime" is to Japan. Okay in all honesty they both have their fair share of 'cute' and 'anime' but I saw a lot more familiar anime characters gracing the sides of buildings in Japan than in Korea.

As for the rest of my trip I will break it down by day to make life easier. We were in Japan for a total of 8 days but the last day was really nothing but flying back to Korea.

So without any further ado...

Japan: Day 1.

We had an early morning flight for Japan so we could have most of the day in Tokyo. We got in and went straight to exchange some papers for our JR Rail Pass. If you are going to Japan for at least a week or longer I highly recommend forking over the money for a JR Pass. It's a pass that lets you ride any of the JR (Japan Rail) trains for free while the pass is valid. You can buy 1-week, 2-weeks, or a month long pass (I believe). We bought the week and I don't regret the 300 bucks in the least. Thinking about how much money we would have spent... yup, totally worth it.


I know that the Japanese culture is a lot more work oriented that most other countries (as in people can spend so much time at work that they literally cannot make it home because trains aren't running anymore) so you see a lot of bathrooms with changing rooms and showers in them. That was interesting, haha, and it seems like all the convenience stores had underwear or shirts, sometimes even ties, available for purchase.

It was funny listening to all the announcements as we made our way from the airport to Tokyo. All of the English announcements had been recorded with a British accent. I mean, obviously, the American accent is not always going to be the go to accent for English, but neither Taiwan or Korea uses the British accent. it was fun listening to it. One of these days I will make it all the way to Europe and then I can revel in that accent more... mmmmm... I love that accent. Anywho, enough daydreaming about sounds, the main point of going into Tokyo on our first day was dinner with some of KP's friends (they had studied abroad in California). We spent the afternoon at one of the friends' house. She made us some seriously delicious green tea and gave us a goodie bag of candies and snacks. I love Asian hospitality. Plus the snacks were delicious. We also met her baby. He has been named 'Burrito' because his real name, Rito, was too just close not to make that final leap. He's adorable and we managed to only make him cry once. And that was not our fault! I mean, if I were him, I would have cried if I was left alone with two crazy looking foreigners too.

We went to dinner and had Udon Noodles (super ridiculously delicious FYI) and many other yummy yummy things. We had a brown sugar sake drink (that basically tasted like you were drinking a chocolate chipless chocolate chip cookie, which if you know me, you know that is the most amazing kind of cookie in existence). There was also tempura and strawberry milk that tasted like heaven.

This is the Udon Noodles. Just thinking about it again makes my mouth water.

Mmmmm, tempura....

Milk from the heavens. No joke. Milk from the heavens!

I learned my first (and really only) Japanese phrase at dinner. If i knew how to write it out in Japanese I would try but it is just "Nice to meet you" "Hajimay mahshiday" and tried to use it as much as possible. Which meeting five new Japanese friends meant quite a lot. It also ended up being the birthday of one of our group so we got dessert too. Japan really knows how to do dessert.

After dinner we walked around a bit and then went and took sticker pictures. Sticker pictures are a way of life in Japan and Korea so obviously we had to participate. These types of photobooths actually distort your face to make you more "cute" which means you become whiter and your eyes become HUGE. Totally worth it. I then walked around this little arcade looking at the massive amount of claw machines filled with various anime paraphernalia. I am still a little disappointed with myself for not trying to get the dragon ball plush pillow. We started talking about how early our flight was the next day and how we had planned to stay at an internet cafe before heading back to the airport for a quick flight down to Fukuoka but that is where things got hairy. We realized none of the trains would get us to the airport in time for our flight. So we ditched that idea and headed back to the subway to catch a train back to the airport with the idea of just sleeping there.

Thus began our horrendous voyage back to the airport. Once we realized we wouldn't make it in the morning we decided to just catch the last train (a time we had gotten from the JR website from our Japanese friends) when we realized that time was not correct. And by "not correct" what I really mean is pathetically inaccurate. We thought the last train was going to be at 10:25 so we strolled in at 10 to get our ticket. Nope. The last train was 745. Seven-forty-five. Why on the earth the last train to get to the airport was so ridiculously early is beyond me but now we have a problem. We have a flight leaving at 720 in the morning. All the morning trains will get us to the airport at 650. Thirty minutes to get through check-in and security? Yeah... not so much. At this point in swoops in the JR attendant to save the day. I swear she was wearing a cape at one point. She grabs this massive book of train and subway times with print that had to be a size 4 font and starts rummaging through to find us a way to get to the airport. She is furiously typing on her computer and flipping through pages as KP and I are just like... ummm what do we do now? Then another JR attendant starts flipping through a book and typing away on his computer all the while they are jabbering back and forth in rapid Japanese. They both periodically disappear to the back of the building (no idea what they were doing) but finally they sit down defeated. There is no way to get us to the airport tonight.

The closest they can do is the Narita Subway stop and from there we can take a taxi or bus to the airport. She points out all of our subways and transfer points on a map making sure we knew exactly what we were doing. She was so sad that she couldn't get us all the way there but I was so surprised they had both tried so hard I didn't even care. It was amazing.

So we are walking towards the subway and we get on thinking everything has to go perfectly because we only have a few minutes to catch each train because, obviously, each one was the last one for the night. So we get off the first subway and we are looking for the signs for the next train. We don't see it so we ask another attendant. He looks at us and says "oh, it's finished."

Insert groan of disbelief. We had been told the last train was 1047 and it was 1040 but he was adamant that the train had already left. Now one thing about Japan is their subways and trains follow schedules to a T. I still have no idea what happened. But he tells us of another train we can run to that will get us to the same spot. So we run. We leave the station we are in and cross the street to a different station. We get down to buy the next ticket and we ask the next attendant if we are in the correct place and he looks at us and says "oh, that train finished."

Insert groan of disbelief number 5,678 of the evening.

What? Really? How can this be true? Two different instructions and both are completely wrong? Come on universe... what's going on? So we tell him where we need to go and he points us to a different train. We have four minutes. We run to the ticket machine and then literally run to the platform. We made it.

Now it's nearing midnight at this point. When we arrive at the Narita subway stop we are trying to figure out the plan. Should we suck it up and pay for a taxi or take our chances with the bus. Well, we decide bus, cheaper so obviously the best choice. Excellent. Just perfect. The bus doesn't start running until 310.

Now it's January in Japan. It's cold outside. We decide we'll check the million and five hotels that surround the station for a cheap room. We were hoping to find one of the pay by the hour motels since we were only waiting for 3 hours but no such luck. They are all nightly rates of at least 130 bucks. We are not paying 130 bucks for three hours. Option 1: eliminated. Then we decide to try and find an internet cafe. I don't know how much you know about Japan and internet cafes but they have basically been created for people who miss their train and need a cheap convenient place to stay for the night. They have little rooms, sofa type beds, computers (obviously), drink bars, food, bathrooms, showers. And they are cheap. They usually run about 10 dollars for 6 hours. If you put that up against a hotel for the night it is an obvious choice. So we go looking for an internet cafe but this area only has one within walking distance and it is completely full. There are even people just sitting in the lobby waiting with suitcases. Option 2: eliminated. Our next option is to find a 24 hour McDonalds so we can at least sit down inside where it is warm. We follow the signs and get to McDonalds, just in time to be told they are closed for cleaning. Yup, the 24 hour McDonalds is closed. Option 3: eliminated. Our next choice from a list of quickly dwindling options is to find a karaoke room. That will be sort of like the internet cafe but without the conveniences of quiet or showers. We walk and we walk around. We finally found a karaoke room. We walk inside and it is also completely full. The lady working tells us to go two floors down, they may have something open, so we cram our luggage and selves back into this tinier than tiny elevator only to be told that place is also full. It is now nearing 130 and we are out of all options except taking a taxi to the airport.

So we take our stuff and make our way to the bus stop where some taxis are waiting. We ask one taxi how much to get to the airport and he tells us 3000 yen. For those of you conversion-impaired that is roughly 30 US dollars. For a 15 minute taxi ride. At this point we have an hour and forty minutes before the bus will start to run so we grin and bear it. We park ourselves on a bench and decide to wait it out in the cold. We have our big puffy jackets and various other items we can pile around us (thankfully Japan was warmer than Korea). We sit for a bit and notice another guy hovering near the same bus stop we will need to be by to catch a bus to the airport. Some lights click on and we decide to ask him if he is headed to the airport too, because if he is, then we could all share a cab and then it would make the cost 10 dollars each. Still awful but not too awful. So we approach and KP says "I"m pretty sure he's Chinese."

At this point I am glad that English is taught so widely in East Asian countries. Seriously...

So we walk up and ask if he's going to the airport and he's like "yeah, I am." With a face that says "and why do you care?" So we tell him we want to go and ask if he wants to share a cab. He looks confused and says "the airport is closed."

Wait. What?

Yup. Apparently the airport closes (I didn't know airports did that) but that is why the bus doesn't come until 310. The airport will start letting people back inside (who are not already there) at 330. At this point we are super glad we didn't fork over the 30 bucks in the first place to go to a closed airport. But now we really have no choice but to sit and wait out the rest of the night until the bus starts running.

So we start chatting with our new Chinese friend and find out he is a student looking for a job. He's fluent in Mandarin, Japanese, and English and currently trying to find a job in Japan. I think he was studying engineering? Maybe? No? I have no idea anymore. But he was cool. His name is... wait for it... nah, I don't do names on here. Haha, sorry. Let's just say it took all of my willpower not to start laughing. He went inside the convenient store to grab some coffees and I busted out laughing. KP told me to stop (but after all the adrenaline getting to where we were now and my lack of sleep I was in no state to keep my laughing at bay. Thankfully I got my self under control before he returned bearing gifts of hot coffee.

The Chinese (and Japanese) people really give Koreans a run for their money in the consideration department. We spent the time waiting for the bus just killing time. I read a book while KP and our new Chinese friend played with a frisbee.

Finally the bus came to pick us up, we boarded, got to the airport, and found a place to crash on some benches until we could check into our flight. I made my way to the bathroom to try and wash my face and brush my teeth and then I fell asleep until it was time to check in.

Thus ended the first day in Japan.

Japan Day 2:

Our flight from Tokyo to Fukuoka was on small plane so we didn't actually board at a terminal. This was fun! We went through the boarding gate and then got put on a bus. The bus took us out to the plane and we climbed up on one of those moving staircases. That was a first for me. New experiences... yay!

Once we got to Fukuoka we rented a car so we could drive down to the Takachiho Gorge. Now, so far we had had some very interesting and culturally specific actual travel situations, like getting used to entering buses from the left instead of the right, but nothing compares to renting a car in Japan. So not only were we driving on the wrong side of the road (because they like to be backwards in Japan) we had to try and figure out road signs, traffic laws, and navigating in Japanese. I may have lost ten years of my life during the first hour of the drive. It's a good thing KP was the one with the international driver's license. I gave up trying to help and just reclined my chair and fell asleep.

And remember when I said Japan was expensive? Instead of toll bridges they have toll freeways (so I guess not technically called a freeway?) anyways you get a ticket when you get on the expressway and then you have to pay the amount owed when you want to get off the expressway. And smart us couldn't figure out the correct lane and entered and exited the expressway three times before finally figuring it out... but the total for our entire drive was close to 100 dollars in tolls. It's ridiculous.

Anywho we drove from Fukuoka down to the northern tip of the Miyazaki provence to see the Takachiho Gorge. It's a beautiful gorge where you can rent rowboats and see this cool waterfall. It was beautiful and I am glad KP saw it in a picture and decided we were going to go on our trip.

The colors of the water were beautiful.

row_boats.jpg<br />I took some pictures of us actually in the row boat but they weren't that fantastic so you get this instead.waterfall.jpg
Said waterfall, see isn't it pretty?

This was the shot on all the postcards. It is a lot more special when you take it yourself.

After the gorge we went to a nearby shrine. Shinto shrines in Japan are very different from the Buddhist temples of Korea, I mean, obviously, but still it was cool to see similar things being treated so differently. We chose a few fortunes and then took some pictures. They had some beautiful old trees and the shrines were made of more wood. It felt magical being at the shrine. Like I was part of Spirited Away (even though it wasn't a bath house).

This was at the entrance of the shrine.

See? Just look at that tree.

I can't remember what these are but I think they may have been wishes? Or protectors...

I found this guy just hanging out at the back of the shrine.

After we left the shrine we enjoyed the drive back down the mountain as the sun was setting. We were off to Nagasaki for the night. And because we were in a car we had to take advantage and use the drive-thru at McDonalds. It wasn't until we were at the window ready to order that we realized our mistake. We would have to talk to the people without any use of hand motions or pointing at pictures. Did I mention Japanese is hard? Haha, we definitely made the workers night as we gave up trying to order our fries at the speaker and just drove to the window. It was a good thing we were the only ones in line. They laughed it off as we pointed to the menu and ended up getting our fries. We laughed at our idiotic moment for a few miles.

We ended up in Nagasaki for our second night in Japan. Instead of staying in a hotel KP wanted to try couch-surfing at least once, so she delved into the world that is couch-surfing before we left Korea to try and find us at least one night during our trip. That ended up being with KM in Nagasaki. He had a nice apartment up this huge hill. Let's just say I am super glad we had a car and didn't have to walk that thing. He was a pretty cool guy. From New Jersey and teaching in Nagasaki. He had this little cupboard under his bed and we joked we were going to tell everyone about his bone knife collection that he kept hidden inside. Instead we talked and listened to him play the guitar and laughed a lot before we finally crashed. And considering it was our first "couch-surfing" experience it is funny that there was neither a couch or even a blanket involved. Haha, KM was generous enough to let us stay at his place we weren't exactly complaining. Sleeping on a random mattress pad with my jacket as a blanket was not as bad as you can imagine.

And complete side-note, I just realized that most of my friends that I talk about have a K as their first initial. KM, KB, KL... haha. Anyways, back to Japan.

We fell asleep and thus ended day 2.

Japan Day 3:

When we finally crawled off the floor the next morning we decided to spend the afternoon doing as much as we could in Nagasaki before we had to drive the car back to the airport. Our gracious host, KM, provided us with a list of some things we shouldn't miss.

Some of the first things were actually around his place so we took a walk around his neighborhood. I saw a cool statue of an old samurai that I guess used to be important in history... he did something somewhere and ended up being put on display on the top of this random hill in Nagasaki.

I mean, the poor guy didn't even have a good view! He had this gorgeous expanse of city right behind him. And what is he stuck staring at for eternity? A wall. And not a pretty one.

We walked down to see the Wakamiya Shrine and KM taught us how we are supposed to cleanse ourselves before going into any of the temples. It involves pouring water over your hands in a certain order, then taking a drink of the water, and then putting the ladle back down before you can dry your hands. There were some Japanese women at a later shrine who were very impressed with our skills later in our journey.

This shrine also had a really old tree that KP just had to go and touch, I took a picture but won't upload it here. There is also a line of arches that you can pass through to get up to the shrine. We came down instead of walking up so we didn't go through the arches but it was cool to see them anyways.

There are a lot of little rocks and pebbles from when people have thrown them up on the arch. I'm not sure what the significance is, but I am assuming it has to do with wishes and good fortune. Once it is thrown you should not touch it or move it again (hence them being everywhere still). I'm also going out on a limb and saying it is like us throwing money in a wishing well. Yay culture!

At this point we had to say goodbye to our new found friend. We wanted to start exploring the rest of the city and he had to get to work soon.

Thanks KM!!

By this time in our journey we had developed a very passionate love/hate relationship with the GPS in the car we rented. We dubbed her "Tonya" and Tonya was not a nice person. For one, she couldn't decide if she was going to stay in English or revert to her mother Japanese tongue (and at some of the most inconvenient of times- freeway entrances and exits ring a bell-). And next, she would wait way too long to tell us to do anything. So driving around Nagasaki was going to rely heavily on her cooperating.

We found that many times throughout our drive we would yell at Tonya until the best insult we could think of pretty much summed her up and afterwards she started to cooperate all the time! Apparently all you have to do to make your GPS actually help you is to tell her that "Her mother was a Nokia and her father smelled of Blackberry." If only we had known sooner.

The first stop we made in Nagasaki was the atomic bomb museum. It is hard to explain the feeling of looking at all the pictures and artifacts from right after the bombing. It was really sad and scary all at the same time. We went up to an observation deck and saw pictures from right after the bomb exploded that overlooked the actual spot today.

For example:
This is post-bomb.

This is now.

I don't think you can make out the details but the damage was ridiculous. It's crazy to think how much it has changed.

There is a famous cathedral that has a lot to do with the atomic bombing history but I was a bad student and didn't really pay attention. We did end up driving around the new cathedral that replaced it, it was pretty. If we had had more time we might have tried to find a parking spot but as it was we decided the next move was lunch.

We drove to this huge mall and decide lunch and entertainment was going to be our thing. We ended up eating Italian food (I know, I know, we're in Japan and eating Italian? So sue us, it's way cheaper in Japan than Korea for yummy pasta.) plus this place had a drink bar. You pay for a drink and you have an unlimited choices from sodas, coffees, teas, juices, and icees. And you can go back as many times as you want. Yes.

After we ate we rode the Ferris wheel that was on top of the mall. That was pretty awesome for getting great pictures of the city. I am just glad it was sunny so the pictures really turned out. After our spin on the wheel we decided it was time for an arcade.

It's almost inhuman to go to Japan and not play a video game. I mean, really, you have to. So we went to this huge Sega arcade and played Mario Kart

I was Luigi. It was fantastic. We also played this drum game (kind of like rock band but the traditional drum, not gonna lie we played anime theme songs).

Then it was time to get the car back to the rental spot. We dropped the car off (after a very interesting getting gas adventure) and hopped back on the train. This time we were headed to Hiroshima.

We got in pretty late and for once actually had a real bed to sleep in! And it couldn't have come any sooner. We dropped our stuff off at the hostel (J-Hoppers Hostel if you're interested. If you're in Hiroshima: go, stay, it's amazing.)

We finally had ramen!! I was really looking forward to this. But after the first three days being so full of craziness it was time to head back to the hostel for sleep.

Thus ended day 3.

Japan day 4:

And the last day for this post (sorry it's super long already) but I wanted to separate it between non-Tokyo and Tokyo days.

We woke up and took our time getting ready. We were going to head to the Atomic Bomb Museum and A-Dome first. This time at the museum we got the headset audio guide. That may have been one of the worst decisions of the trip. Not because it wasn't worth it but because after an hour and a half of listening to these clips and seeing all the remnants of the bombing my heart literally hurt.

There were pictures of the bombing. There were wax representations of the melting skin. There were clothes that had been on people before the bomb where you could still see the blood. There were pieces of glass, lunch boxes with names etched on them with charred rice still inside. There were countless stories and video interviews. Then came the aftermath. All the people that suffered from the affects of radiation. There were stories of mothers, so happy that their daughters were still alive, that started to comb their daughters hair. But only after three strokes did they realize that they had combed all the hair off of their daughters' heads and it now sat in a pile on the floor. There were preserved body parts that showed the growths and tumors. Then there were the cranes that one girl had made before she died. She tried to make it to 1000 because then you were supposed to get a wish. She died before making it and now origami cranes fill the peace parks and memorial halls.

One of the uniforms of one of the many soldiers.

The father of this young boy was inside his house when the bomb went off. His son was in the front yard. He couldn't bear to part from his son so he buried him along with his tricycle and the helmet in his yard. Years later he unearthed his sons remains and donated the tricycle and helmet to the museum.

This is outside the hall. This is a memorial for all the victims of the Hiroshima bombing.

One of the buildings that actually stood before the bomb fell. It is kept in this state as a reminder.

Yeah. I don't think I will ever be able to forget what I saw at this museum. I can only imagine what it was like at the time. In fact, I don't even think I could try and imagine that.

After I had my heart thoroughly trampled by this museum KP and I planned to go to Miyajima Island. This island has a shrine and gate that if you go during low tide you can walk under and supposedly get good luck. We planned our trip so we would be there at low tide. We hopped on a ferry and made our way to the island. And of course it started to rain.

Whatever we were not going to let that ruin our day. And it did not.

Now Miyajima Island is amazing. There are domesticated deer all over. You can just walk up and touch them and they will follow you around for food.


The first thing we had to do was get to this gate so we could get our good luck! We walked out to the gate but the tide was not quite past the gate. KP walked completely under it anyways but I only went about half way. She would get the good luck and I determined that I would even out. No good luck but no bad luck either.

Yay luck.

If you ever find yourself on Miyajima Island you must eat the oysters. They are fantastic and I want one right now. We walked around the island for a bit, ate a lot of food, saw some souvenir shops, bought some pastries, and then got attacked by a hawk.

Yup. Attacked by a hawk. I took out one of my pastries from my bag, it was covered in plastic, and it must have caught the birds eye. The next thing I know is I feel this woosh right by my head and I get hit with a huge wing on the side of my face. I feel the talons on my hand and he even took a chunk of my thumb with him (ok not really it was a tiny scratch that didn't even bleed but still). Then the pastry flies out of my hand. But I was in such a shock I kind of jerked the pastry so the hawk lost its grip and the thing fell back to the ground. A Japanese woman picked it up and just stared at us with her mouth open as KP and I tried to figure out what had just happened. We must have looked pretty funny after our yells and flying pastries.

I got attacked and my pastry stolen... but I got it back. So, really, not good luck but not bad luck either! That gate treated me well.

We took the ferry back to the mainland, went and collected our luggage, and headed for the train that would take us back to Tokyo. When we got into Tokyo we were going to stay at an internet cafe. We make our way there, stow our luggage in a locker at the subway, and then try and find the internet cafe. It took a little bit but we finally made it. We shower, we relax, and then I crashed. Sleep was amazing anytime it happened on this trip.

And thus ended day 4.

I'll post about the last half of my trip to Japan in a different entry. But here's a little tidbit of what's to come. Tokyo! Capsule hotels, Mt. Fuji, Miyazaki museums, Disneyland, and more!

Until the next time!

Posted by cstravelsabroad 23:55 Archived in Japan Tagged food japan culture adventure friends love beauty beginnings Comments (0)

Winter Break

“So I find words I never thought to speak /In streets I never thought I should revisit / When I left my body on a distant shore.” ~ T.S. Eliot

I love the Korean public school schedule. Instead of two weeks off at Christmas we get a month! Well, somewhat, I still had to teach winter camp but it wasn't too bad. But there are some thing I will never like better, like having to come to school even when the students and other teacher's aren't there... I don't think I will ever understand the mentality of desk warming. ㅠㅠ It makes no sense... ah well. Whatcha gonna do?

It's going to be an interesting week ahead because it has been almost seven weeks since I have taught a real class. But because I was on vacation I didn't even think about a blog post. So I shall go back and reflect haha. I'll keep this post mostly about the week before winter camp and then winter camp itself. Japan shall have its own post (or two) because so much happened.

Christmas in Korea is always a little interesting because the atmosphere is so different from back home. You walk around back home and stores and shops are all decked out in Christmas decorations, carols blasting on all stations, themed television and movies, figuring out where you're going and what you'll eat, and what gifts to buy. It's my second favorite season (Halloween gets first) and you don't really get that in Korea. But you adapt and make your own holiday! My friend BM had been staying with me since the middle of November. She had been traveling and was ending her travels with me while she looked for a job in China.

We ended up spending Christmas Eve with some friends. We had a grand time together, that culminated into karaoke until almost 4 am. Which, come to think about it, seems to be my Christmas tradition in Korea... Karaoke... hmm...

The week after Christmas I had vacation so I didn't have to go into work. On the second day of the new year BM, KB, SK (my Korean mom), and BSK (KB's friend who was visiting from home), all headed to Nami Island for a day trip. Our first stop was Petite France, a little French village near Nami Island. It was adorable and made me want to go to France even more so than I already do. A lot of it was themed around the story Le Petit Prince but there were a lot of other tid-bits as well. We found some stamps in various rooms we could look into and then realized that if you found them all you got a prize. That meant we now had to go back and find them all! Haha, I think it was more fun trying to find them than anything else. Especially once we realized that you had to pay for the end prize (well technically we were supposed to have purchased a handkerchief type thing at the beginning) but we didn't know so we had to buy it at the end. I did because it was only 500 won and I wanted the completion stamp and postcard! Haha, no one else in the group did though... principles and what not.

After my week of relaxation and no worries I headed back to school for winter camp. Most other teachers were not present but I am used to that now. When camps come along it just means that most teachers say 'adios' because they don't teach a camp. Sometimes there is like a math or science camp, there was a library camp going on all break, and then there was English camp.

I don't really like camp. It's a waste of time if you ask me. The kids don't want to be there. They don't care and they don't try. It's camp, they don't get a grade and the only reason they show up is because their parents tell them to go. I don't blame them either, it's their vacation. I don't want to be there so they sure don't want to be there either. But the Korean education system thinks "we're paying these NETs to be here might as well make them teach" so we get stuck with camps. I think there should be a better (or at least different alternative) but again, whatcha gonna do? Suck it up, that's what.

If the school wants to spend money heating an entire English classroom and paying for me to sit around and do nothing... well, I'd be sitting at home paying my own heating bill if I wasn't at school. I guess it evens out. But it is nothing like I imagined my vacations would be like when I was first envisioning my life abroad. I imagined weeks of jet setting and fun during my glorious off days... oh the cold cruel reality of life as a NET. Woe are we who sit around and ponder warmer climates as we sit frozen in our desk chairs.

Three weeks and four camps. I wish my school didn't try to achieve so much. Most other NETs I know have one or two week camps and only one camp a day (sometimes at all). I have four different camps I have to prepare and teach and they last for three weeks. Thankfully I had prepared most everything before hand so after camp each day I would finish whatever had to be done for the next day and then find something to watch online while I did whatever I needed to do for camp. I watched so many shows online it was slightly ridiculous.

But the end of camp finally arrived and with it my second week long vacation. This time I was not staying in Korea. I had planned (well helped plan) a week long Japanese adventure.

And here ends the first post missing from January, I shall continue with my daring escapades and wondrous journeys in Japan in my next post. I don't want them to be forever long and a lot happened!

Until the next time!

Posted by cstravelsabroad 16:15 Archived in South Korea Tagged seasons teaching Comments (0)

Bonding Time

“Most of the time, beauty lies in the simplest of things.” ~ Winna Efendi, The Journeys

For the most part the end of the year has come and gone for my students. They've had their finals and most students have checked out. There are still classes but it's mostly fluff. We have started our winter break which means that all in all the students will only have two weeks of actual classes before the school year officially ends. Yay!

To celebrate the end of the year all the teachers (well most of them all the way) went on an overnight trip to bond and relax together at the close of the year. Bonding I understand but the trip was far from relaxing.

We ended up going Sokcho. It is on the eastern coast of Korea. It has beautiful beaches and a forest that people hike to see. It was a very pretty weekend, despite the freezing temperatures from the snow, and I did enjoy the trip. I would have enjoyed my weekend free from school responsibilities more but you do what you have to. In the world of foreign English teachers in Korea you learn a few things. For instance, if you are offered food, take and eat it. It is incredibly rude not to. If your boss tells you that you "should" do something that actually means, you must do this if you want to stay on their good side. These kinds of teachers' outings fall into the category of "should" events. I was in no way forced to go but without a very good reason I had to go.

We left at 3pm on Friday afternoon. It took about three hours to make it to Sokcho. We didn't have anything except dinner planned as a group so we settled into our hotel rooms and then went down to meet up for dinner. Since we were on a coast and in an area known for their fish every meal we consumed had some sort of fish in it. The first thing? Raw fish. Yup. Sushi style but without the rice and seaweed to make it at least bearable. But my shining moment? I ate raw squid. It was so fresh it was still moving around a bit on the plate when they brought it to us.


It wasn't that bad actually. I can't say I will ever do it again but if you are given the opportunity I suggest taking advantage of any and all cuisine despite how different it seems.

It started to snow while we ate and after dinner I took a short stroll across the street to watch the waves and play a bit in the snow. I am glad I had this time with my fellow teachers though, it was very nice actually getting to know some of the other teachers in my school.


I took a lot of pictures of this boat that was pulled up on the shore. I wish it wasn't as cold as it was because I could have stayed on that shore and listening and watched the enormous waves for hours. I guess it was better that it was cold then... There were a couple of lighthouses and the one directly in front of me had a blinking green light. I felt like Gatsby starring into the distance. Don't know what was supposed to represent Daisy though...

As if my Gatsby moment wasn't enough to show my geeky side I solidified my geeks ranks with my next move. While some other teachers were busy writing their names in the snow I took the time to write a really special message.


You're welcome. If you know why that is geeky we may remain friends... if not we have to re-evaluate our relationship.

The next day we woke up and ate breakfast. Which for these Koreans means a nice bean sprout and fish soup... yumm... just what I like bright and early in the morning...

The view made up for breakfast though.


After breakfast we headed to the ocean to take in the view. It, also, was very much worth waking up so early on a Saturday.


After our quick rendez-vous with the ocean we boarded the bus to head to a nearby mountain for a nice quick hike. And by quick I mean a few hours and by nice I mean 'why oh why are you doing this to me????'

But before our nice quick hike could commence we had to get up to the certain part of the mountain. Thanks to the snow that proved quite difficult. Our bus got stuck and ended up not being able to go forward and couldn't turn around.


We spent a good forty-five minutes as the bus tried to figure out how to turn around or if it could go forward. I took quite a few pictures of the snow and we found some cute puppies but ultimately the bus realized it couldn't do anything. The bus driver ended up reversing down the mountain and we teachers followed on foot. That was definitely interesting because it was a long while before the bus found a place it could turn around.


We just got a pre-hike before our official hike. Now this hike wasn't exactly bad but it was really cold and I don't like hiking. It was about 4 kilometers one way, completely uphill, and cold, did I mention cold?

There were some beautiful trees though.


Apparently the end result, a forest of white (I think) birch trees, is famous in Korea. It was nice but I am not sure I would ever care to do it again.


Well, that's not true, I would maybe go back in the fall. I bet it could be very creepy in the right circumstances, especially around Halloween. One thing I can say with utmost certainty though is I did not get much bonding done on the hike. Apart from trying to keep breathing I wasn't exactly in a chatty mood. Did I mention that it was really cold? I froze during the hike and I froze on the bus ride home. I was cold until I took a shower that night after I got home.

Why a teacher's bonding trip had to be held in the middle of December outside in the snow is beyond me. At least the trip did was it was supposed to and I actually talked with more of my fellow teachers! Huzzah!

Until the next time...

Posted by cstravelsabroad 02:16 Archived in South Korea Tagged culture adventure friends funny seasons teaching firsts Comments (1)

Kimchi Making Day!!

“Well, if you ask me what’s so special about this place.. aku akan bilang, most of the time, beauty lies in the simplest of things..." ~ Winna Efendi, The Journeys

Korea has many wonderful places to go, a plethora of extraordinary things to do, and myriad delicious things to eat. It's a cornucopia of delights. One of my favorite things to eat is kimchi. It's the staple of a Korean diet and the wonderful panacea for all that ails you. Do you have a cold? Eat some kimchi. Do you have a stomachache? Eat some kimchi. Are you tired? Eat some kimchi. Need to lose weight? Eat your kimchi. Ask a Korean child what their favorite food is and 9 times out of 10 the answer is? You guessed it: kimchi!

Kimchi is wonderful. Kimchi is delicious. Kimchi is everywhere. The wonderful concoction of fermented cabbage (or radishes or cucumbers or any other vegetable you want to use) and red pepper paste mixed with ginger, garlic, onions, leafy greens, salt, and pepper... mmmm it just sits and soaks up all the flavors for months on end.... my mouth is watering just thinking about it.

Kimchi is basically Korea incarnate. If you have never eaten it I recommend you get up off the computer, head to your local Asian market, and buy some kimchi. Take it home and devour. Trust me on this one. Get some rice and steamed pork, wrap it all in steamed cabbage and garnish with kimchi. You will never eat anything different ever again. Especially if you steam the pork with cinnamon, star anise, nutmeg, garlic, and green onions. Seriously, I need a napkin to deal with my drooling right now.

After a year and a half I finally made one of my life goals happen. I participated in the creation of kimchi. 김장해요 (making kimchi for the winter) usually happens in November. It is a big thing for the woman of a family to get together and spend 2-3 days preparing and then making kimchi for all the families to eat throughout the winter. My wonderful surrogate Korean family mom had a huge test to study for (she is trying to become an official certified Korean English teacher) and her test was at the beginning of December. So we waited and after her test we all went to her house to help and participate in 김장해요. It was amazing. She kept saying how it is "torture" for Korean woman but I had a blast. I can see how having to spend 2-3 days on prep and then making a gazillion boxes of kimchi can get very old very quickly, but for only having to do a portion of the prep and only 2 boxes of kimchi I had a blast.

With the help of a friend we cut up and prepped all the vegetables and garnishes we would need for the kimchi.

Here is the big pile of cabbage that had already been salted and sitting around for a day before we arrived to finish the job.

Here are some of the cut up pieces of radishes. I didn't get a decent picture of all the garnishes before we lumped them all together to create the spicy rub.

After the rub is mixed the real work begins. You have to take each cabbage and individually lift each leaf and rub the spicy deliciousness all over. It takes a long time and it's incredibly messy. And in true Korean fashion you sit on the floor. Uncomfortable doesn't even begin to describe how it feels. Your back hurts, your legs hurt, and you have to be careful not to touch anything but the cabbage for fear of permanent stain. Also, beware of phones in pockets. One false turn and plop... there goes your phone into the kimchi spice rub... Which, trust me, takes a lot of talent to clean out of all the nooks and crannies.


After you rub the mixture throughout the entire cabbage you have to wrap it and then place it in a box that will be kept in the kimchi freezer.

It looks like a baby when you're done.



We ended up filling 6 boxes with kimchi. It was a blast participating in an authentic Korean tradition like making kimchi. Hopefully I have a lot more chances to do so in the future! The best part of the whole day was dinner after the fact. Steamed pork, steamed cabbage, rice, and fresh kimchi!!!


Seriously... go eat it now!!

Until the next time...

Posted by cstravelsabroad 01:50 Archived in South Korea Tagged food culture friends seasons kimchi Comments (0)

(Entries 6 - 10 of 64) « Page 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 .. »